Saturday, January 24, 2009

change we can believe in?

I rarely talk politics when I blog because although I always exercise my right to vote, I believe our country/world desperately needs a spiritual awakening that can not be legislated by government. I will also point out that although I did not vote for Obama, I do think it is a great thing for our country to have an african American president and I truly want him to succeed in his role.

However I am deeply saddened and disappointed that after three days in office, our president has already lifted a ban on federal funding for groups who promote or perform abortions, reversing the policy of George Bush originally signed into law by Reagan. I am voicing my opinion because I feel strongly that abortion is a spiritual issue, not a political one. For a president who is supposed to be about "hope" for all people, it would seem that millions of children in our country will not be offered that hope no matter how many times it is mentioned on the campaign trail.

Life is valuable, period. From the convict in prison, to the executive on wall street, to the unborn. It seems incredibly hypocritical to stand on a soapbox and say everyone deserves the right to earn a decent living and have access to health care, but then do nothing to protect the most basic right of the innocent unborn who cannot speak for themselves. I pray my daughters will not grow up in a country that goes out of its way to protect forests, animals, and the climate, while allowing children to be thrown out in the trash.

Life is more important than healthcare. global warming, or the economy, and I pray that our nation will awaken to this fact. I strongly believe that Mr. Obama and millions of others (including christians) who voted for him are wrong on this issue. We have been charged by Jesus to care for the least of these, (matt. 25) and I don't see how anyone could qualify for that title more than a beautiful, helpless, innocent child. Our president has an amazing amount of responsibility, and I pray that God will give him the wisdom and courage to stand for what is truly important.

2 chronicles 7:14--If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray. If they will seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear them from heaven, I will forgive them, and I will heal their land.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

very good! I would hate to have the blood of those unborn babies on my hands....including all those who voted for Obama. God show us mercy.

Cassie said...

Amen Pastor Jon.. :) I completely agree. I wouldn't want to be president, so all I know to do is pray for the one we have, God can use anyone he wants to!

Unknown said...

i agree with that 100%, it's true all we can do is pray. i really liked this PJ i couldnt have ever said it better :)

Roxy said...

I completely agree. Thanks for blogging on this.