Monday, March 23, 2009

Dora no Mora?




I have to admit, when I first heard that Nickelodian was planning to "mature" Dora the explorer to make her appeal more to "tweens", i was pretty devastated. I thought for sure she would be made to look like a bratz doll and would be totally "sexed" up. Upon seeing the pictures of her, I must say she is not that bad. I can't speak for the content of the new show, I can only hope they don't make her boy crazy or put her in situations where she compromises morally. I was somewhat relieved that the original show will still be available because both my daughters really like her and Addy even runs around the house yelling "VAMOS"!!!!!!

I heard thru the grapevine that there is no swiper and no boots in the new show, which already makes me think.........BUNK!! I don't believe that we should make cartoon characters role models, but I do think the makers of these shows should stay consistent with what they began marketing. Point in case, Britney spears. She started out being such a "good" girl role model ( to some), and now those same ten year old girls she appealed to are watching the unfortunate "transformation" of their role model. We need to be very careful as parent what we allow our children to put before their young eyes and minds.

For those of you unaware, nickelodian is owned by the company Viacom which also owns mtv. I believe this company has a cradle to grave plan for your child where they want to rope them in with nick as kids, and then keep them hooked to mtv as young adults. I can't prove its a conspiracy, but I'm personally convinced.

Am I paranoid? what do other parents out there think?

ps. they already did this to strawberry shortcake so I included her pic as well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok. I didn't know that either Dora or Strawberry Shortcake were getting face-lifts, but neither of them look too bad. I will always be partial to the old S.S. as she was one of my favorite growing up (Kristy and I even had all the dolls and their pets. I think my mom still has them at her house.) You're right about the bratz dolls though....they are a bit overboard! Thx for the cartoon/doll updates....I miss all this news over here! lol

-Mo

Ratliff Family said...

Why would you give your child a permiscuous looking doll called a "brat"??? I have yet to figure that out! I don't know if I'm cool with a grown up Dora? Makes me kind of uncomfortable. What, Boots and Swiper are too cool to hang with her now? Maybe they'll meet back up at the first boy-girl dance!

Anonymous said...

So, after I left my previous comment I happened to be surfing the channels and I stumbled upon Dora. Of course over here all the kids shows are in Hebrew, but what I found interesting is that instead of learning spanish, they are learning English. All the Spanish has been substituted with English. I ended up watching the entire episode, and actually enjoyed it. I should have been watching this from the day I got over here...maybe my Hebrew would have picked up quicker... hehehehe

Roxy said...

Wow, I remember strawberry shortcake when I was little. Why can't they stay cute? The old Dora is just adorable.