Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I'm not sure bowling is for pre-schoolers






I didn't think it would be as much work as it ended up being. Ava's preschool class went on a "field trip" to the local bowling alley and since that is my "mr. mom" day, it was just me and the girls. I went into it thinking how hard could it be, we are only bowling one game. By the end, I have never been so relieved to leave the "den of germs:)"

First of all, I was pretty much involved in every bowl because both of them could barely carry the ball but insisted on trying. Addy kept throwing the ball straight down as if she planned on breaking every toe. Of course she was way to proud to let Dad help and would scream "I'm doing it!!!!" if I gave the ball a final push.

Part of the reason the game dragged on forever was because it literally took forty five seconds for some of the balls to make it down the lane. Addy's ball went so slow and bounced off the bumpers so many times, it actually hit the head pin once, but it didn't knock it down!!!! It softly bumped against it and all ten pins just sat there as if laughing at the six pound feather my daughter floated their way. None of this stopped Addy from excitedly giving me a high five EVERY time she bowled:)

finally, it wouldn't be a trip out of the house without Addy having to go potty. I begged her to hold it so we wouldn't have to go in a bowling alley, but she insisted by grabbing her crotch area and jumping. (she got that from mom:) We walk in and she instantly says, "what's that smell?" I explained to her that bowling alley bathrooms are inherently wrong, and the stench was a result of many chili dog eating bowlers before us leaving a remnant of their concession purchase. Why do children insist on touching things in the bathroom? Addy started "pretending" she was painting the walls!!!! Of course her hand was the only pretend brush available so for those of you who know me, let's just say the hand sanitizer was flowing like a river:)


I realize bowling is hugely popular and on television, but its not really a sport is it? Can anyone make a case for bowlers being athletes? I'd love to hear someone argue for it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

what did they score?

Zondervan Life said...

ava bowled a 67 and addy a 52. thank the Lord for bumpers!!!

Roxy said...

WOW! Super for such a young age! YAY, girls! Good job!
Hahaha! I was anticipating you saying something about hand-sanitizer when mentioning "den of germs" and low and behold at the end..... "it was flowing like a river!" he he. =)

Anonymous said...

ummmm, I don't know if I would venture to call bowling a sport...more like a hobby. And taking pre-schoolers there.....wow! You are adventurous!

Ratliff Family said...

isn't it like bowling in slow motion?

heather said...

Now i know for sure i will not be taking my girls bowling for a while. I will give Jeff your message, and duh...i know who you are Jon!