Wednesday, April 15, 2009

butterflies and a sea of people





last week i experienced Fredrick Meijer Gardens for the first time. I almost took Kendra there to propose to her, but chose the parking lot of Friday's instead. Don't ask, I was nervous and pretty much jacked up the whole moment. Anyways, we loaded up the fam and promised the girls we were only an hour away from butterflies!!

I have to say that although the grounds and the butterflies were beautiful, I honestly was a bit underwhelmed by the whole experience. First of all the butterfly exhibit was beyond packed, and besides the horse, there was really not much more of interest in the park. Also it was thirty two bucks for my family!!! I see why they called it meijer gardens instead of thrifty acres!!!

None of my afore mentioned issues stopped the saturday morning masses from coming out, so maybe I'm just not cultured enough to appreciate all that is offered. For anyone who frequents the place, did I miss something extra cool that would have made me feel better about all the loot I spent? Or am I just a cheap dutchman that can't even let his kids attempt to kill a few butterflies for a mere 35 bucks? (don't answer that) Either way, the line to get in when we left around one thirty was at least fifty people deep so it must appeal to somebody!!!! Recession who?

3 comments:

Ratliff Family said...

I think I'll choose a boring Monday morning to go...will it matter?

Roxy said...

Nice pics! The girls looked like they enjoyed it! =)

heather said...

My girls have gone twice and loved it both times! The outside is really nice in the summer...there is a water table shaped like the Great Lakes that the kids can play in; huge sand areas with cranes for digging and sand brushes for digging up "fossils" and a treehouse area for climbing into. It is probably too cold for it now. Last year they had a chocolate tree exhibit that was really cool. They usually cater more to kids in the summer time. Any my girls are creature/dirt lovers, so they would be happy to pick at worms all day long anyway!