Thursday, May 14, 2009

growing up






My house is officially baby-less. Even with addy being only three, I look at her and see much more of a little girl than a baby. Well this past week a few more milestones were reached in the zondervan home. Addy no longer has a pacifier when she goes to bed, and now she is literally going to "bed" and not her crib. One of those bitter sweet moment for sure as I love every stage I've had with my girls, but I do miss having a baby to hold. Kendra and I are on a the fence regarding a timeline for future zondervan bundles of joy, but hopefully at least one more is in our future!!

I am speaking on growing up spiritually this sunday, and as i am preparing I keep thinking about how fast it seems my girls are growing up, but its not that fast. I've lived with them my whole life, and I've never actually seen them grow. It just happens day by day. Our spiritual lives are the same way. Sometimes I think as christians (especially charismatic/pentacostal christians), we can sensationalize spiritual growth. We think if we are struggling with something like unforgiveness, anger, lust, or pride, we get hands laid on us or prayed for and spiritual chains will just break off!!!! Rather its the daily decisions to renew our minds, walk in love, pray, forgive and seek Jesus that leads to real growth and depth in our christian lives. We need to stop looking for the easiest, instant, and sensationalized things of God and realize real change happens in our little decisions. I'm not saying God can't do a miracle, I'm merely stating that there is no "magic pixie dust" for the things we struggle with as christians. I don't want to be a flash in the pan christian looking for the next big thing, I want my everyday thoughts and decisions to bring me closer to Him. Enough preaching, I better save it for sunday:)

Here are some pics of Addy sleeping in her bed (notice Java has to follow us everywhere:) and also "working" with Kendra at church. Talk about growing up, Kendra already has her punching the clock!!! I'm checking the employee handbook for our position on child labor:)

4 comments:

Ratliff Family said...

It is so true, Jon. I remember my boys being born like it was yesterday, now Brandon is stronger than me and Kyle's not far behind. Aaliyah is no longer in toddler clothes. Continue to enjoy every minute of it, it goes so fast.

Anonymous said...

so cute!!!! You are such a good dad!!!

Adry said...

This post really resonates with me. Sam just turned three and that switch from 2 to 3 is brutal. I am doubly upset as Sam is the baby of the family with no more on the way. Anyhow, you have a lovely family and I'm sure you enjoy every second with your girls.

Roxy said...

Time for Zondervam #3! YAY! =)

Good word on growing up spiritually being a daily process! We behold HIM and therefore we become more like Him as we gaze on Who He is. Not just glance, but gaze on Christ!