Uncomfortable---"a state of discomfort or uneasiness---to be conscious of stress or strain."
No one looks for ways to be uncomfortable. Try to remember the last time you watched a movie standing up. Why not? Because lounging on a couch eating chunky monkey is a much more comfortable way to view television. Uncomfortable situations can be even worse. Getting up to deliver a sermon and your zippers down or maybe the guy you work with found out you have a crush on him (both of these have happened to me, not really, just kidding, not true. Ben and I never had a bromance)
Anyways, I can only describe Ava's first tennis lesson as uncomfortable. Twenty five kids there with parents, and Ava is the ONLY one that is crying and refusing to be involved. When I say crying, I'm talking about wailing and snotting all over herself!!!(see picture of her wiping face with shirt). I didn't know what to do. I felt like every eye was locked on me to see if I was one of "those" parents. Do I force her to play, dragging her kicking and screaming to the net like a gitmo prisoner? Do I reward this action by telling her its ok and daddy won't force her to play scary tennis with these mean kids that are only pretending to have fun? Ultimately I let her hang by the fence crying while I looked for the nearest bathroom so I could give myself multiple swirlies and hope I woke up from this dream.
I wish I could say by the end she was serving aces and smashing overheads in someone's face, but not exactly. She did manage to stop crying long enough to join a group and at least pretend to participate. The crazy part was when Kendra asked her how tennis went, she said good!!!!! Lets just say I don't want to take her on one of her "bad" days!!! Here's to a better lesson two!!
can any parents relate?

4 comments:
Um, this is pretty much par-for-the-course at our household. Basically anytime we put Raegan in equally 'scary' situations like VBS, the Zoo, a waterpark, anywhere with a group of more then two kids...
good luck with that!
(and she also has the same reaction~ says she 'loved' it afterwards while she snot-cried through the entire experience)
lol....she had such a cute outfit!!!!
Shame! I agree with anonymous though...she was stylin! Sometimes thats all that matters :) lol
I am in week #4 of survival swimming with mine. Let's just say it goes against every maternal instinct inside me to hand my crying two year olds over to a swim instructor only to be submerged in water, gasping for breaths, throwing up (yes, each has thrown up in the water at least a half dozen times) and wailing "pweeeeeese" (please ~ as in ~ please mama, get me out). But at least I know I am doing something that will only benefit them. Keep it up! She will love you for it later!!!
Post a Comment