Wednesday, February 27, 2008

the quest for holiness

As a Christ follower, especially one who spent much of his early adult life "wasting away my inheritance with prodigal living", (luke 15:13) it has been my hearts cry to "Imitate God" as a child of His.( ephesians 5:1). I believe our response to the holiness of God is to reflect his character in our lives. I no longer want to conform to this world, but be transformed by renewing my mind to think and act like God (Is. 55:8-9)
I felt like in prayer last year God spoke to me and said "don't be so busy cleaning your net, (pursuing personal holiness) that you forget how to go fishing. I think what we would call personal holiness---change in the inward man---only becomes an actuality when is is translated into our inter-personal relationships. In other words, the alone time I spend with God has to ultimately enable me to relate to others in the world around me.
I am asking God to reveal another dimension of holiness to me that looks like a community of people in a right relationship with each other. Its one thing to spend an hour alone in a room with God and come out feeling "holy", and quite another to deal all day with people who may have different opinions, motives, desires and agendas. Too often we see the broken world around us and are moved with self-righteousness instead of compassion. (matt.9:36) I don't ever want to forget where I was before God rescued me, and I pray the day will never come when God's grace is no longer "amazing". As a pastor who works with people daily, I want more than just inner holiness, I want it to flow to others. I am asking God to give me new eyes to see people who are hurting like he does. Tenderness to have my heart broken by what breaks his. Holy Spirit power to "do nothing out of selfish ambition, but in lowliness of mind, put others and their needs before mine." (phil. 2:3-4)
True holiness doesn't come easy, and it isn't cheap. It happens when each of us commits our lives not only to God, but to His body, the church, and like Jesus, we live our lives not to be served, but to serve, and we give our all to advance the kingdom. (mark 10:45) I have in no way attained this, but like Paul, I forget those things which are behind, and I press on toward the prize, I reach for the goal, which is the upward call of God in christ Jesus. (phil.3:13)

"we are ONE in the spirit,
we are ONE in the Lord,
we are ONE in the spirit,
we are ONE in the Lord,
and we pray that all UNITY will one day be restored,
and they'll know we are christians by our Love, by our love,
Yes they'll know we are christians, by our love.

Father, make us One as You are-

2 comments:

Cassie said...

AMEN Pastor Jon, I echo all of it.. I just finished reading a Bill Johnson book "Face to Face With God" and he said something that made me think of Pastor Lee's messages on being blessed to bless others. In the book he said how we can only mirror God's glory and holiness to others in accordance with the depth our personal encounters are with God. We can go into those moments with God to be saturated with His presence, but then when we come out, as my mom told me- we need to drip all over people. :) Its a type of selflessness I'm trying to grasp..a process that I have to choose to continue every day I suppose..

Anonymous said...

Thank You for those amazing words.