More than just lyrics to a Whitney Houston song. As I see the things happening among young people in our generation, my heart literally breaks.
Here are three things burning in my heart right now.
1. God is a generational God. Ex. 3:15 "God told Moses to say to the Israelites..........Tell them the Lord the God of your FATHERS---The God of ABRAHAM, the God of ISAAC, and the God of JACOB has sent me to you." --God created man in order that He might be a Father with a Family.
2. The Family is under attack.
a. one out of two marriages in our country fail and marriage statistics within the church are no better.
b. Most homes have no father present at all. The national statistics (especially among African Americans) are staggering. Is it any wonder so many have difficulty experiencing God as a loving Father?
c. Abortions are happening at an alarming rate, and our culture want to make it as easy as possible. Another attempt to dupe people (especially teens) into believing that you can get rid of "mistakes" and poor decisions don't have lasting ramifications.
d. Children are continuing to have children because there is no more stigma attached to anything. Being pregnant, homosexual, or sexually (over) active are things we celebrate among the youth in our nation. We have established a society where nothing is condemned, and irresponsible behavior is "high-fived" and glorified. I realize that this is not some brand new phenomenon, but if you are trying to tell me that is is not getting substantially worse, save your breath.
3. Christians have a responsibility to raise their children to Love, know, and serve God. We can't fall into the trap of trying to modify behavior instead of teaching them about God and our responsibility to live for Him. I don't think the spiritual stakes have ever been higher when it comes to imparting real faith to your children.
Duet. 6:6-9-- These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.
Father we pray for the light of the Holy spirit to break forth over this generation. Guard the hearts of the children and cause them to fall madly in love with you. Show mercy to your people.
I'm sorry if I seem to be ranting, between re-reading shepherding a child's heart and running across articles like this one, the spiritual hairs on my neck are standing up.
When Anxiety Attacks
9 years ago

2 comments:
I agree 100%. Abbey and I are preparing ourselves now for when we raise kids. (she's not pregnant yet) Rich Parks highly recommended "shepherding a child's heart" to me. My heart is trembling too, know that it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.
Whoa... I read that article.
Kids are so hungry for love and they don't even know what they're doing and the great depths they go to receiving something they think will last.
Abba Father, break in and rescue those who can't see and experience your love. Bring truth to this generation about Who You are.
Post a Comment