I was borrowing a buddies truck to move something on tuesday, and I noticed he had xm satellite radio. Since I'm not used to having music genre on demand, I flipped it to channel eight to rock out to some eighties music.
Joan Jett was screaming out "I hate myself for loving you, can't break free from the things that you do, I wanna walk, but I run back to you, so I hate my self....for loving you"
Instantly, (or at least right after I stopped headbanging), I thought about God's love for me. I couldn't help but wonder if He ever feels this way? I know it's not great theology, but songs do this to my brain sometimes. After all, look how screwed up the world is. I'm a christian and I say wrong things, think wrong things, and do wrong things all the time!!! I realize God forgave me by sending Jesus, but am I the only one who ever wonders if God looks at the world and wonders if it was really worth it? Does He ever "hate himself, for loving us?" Does he ever look at my life and say "Jon, this whole redemption thing cost me my only son, I thought you would be a little better christian by now?" This entire thought process probably lasted maybe a minute, and then men at work was on and I began screaming about how I come from a land down under, but here is how cool God is.
Literally the next day, I read this verse in my quiet time, "for God in all his fullness was pleased to live in Christ, and by means of His blood, reconciled and made peace with everything in heaven and on earth. This includes you who were once far away from God. You were his enemies, separated from him by your evil thoughts and actions. But now He has brought you into his presence, and you are holy and blameless as you stand before Him without a single fault."
These words jumped off the page at me. God doesn't hate Himself for loving me!! No matter where you've been or what you've done, no matter how far away from God you are or were, It PLEASED Him to be able to reconcile and make peace with you. How much it cost should remind us how much we're worth!! Because of Jesus, God brings us into His awesome presence, holy, blameless, and without a single fault!! When God looks at you, it is thru the perfect lens of Jesus!!
Don't let the enemy move you off of this truth. We must be steadfast and immovable or we will begin to believe the lies that we aren't good enough, or haven't done enough. Our redemption is based completely on God's grace, stop trying to earn a gift.
I'm off to write a new song, "I love myself, for loving you"
When Anxiety Attacks
9 years ago

1 comment:
Hey! Sorry I didn't get a chance to see you while I was home....I was at the "main campus" both Sundays....BUT, I heard great things about the Portage Campus, and my sister said she is liking it over there! Keep it up!!!
Post a Comment