I guess traveling is getting a little more intrusive these days. Obviously in light of 9-11 and the vulnerability of people on a plane, certain security measures must be taken. Also the "christmas bombers" underwear bomb would not have been detected with our current metal scanners.
However, many people feel the extreme TSA measures taken recently are not only annoying, but degrading and a blatant violation of privacy. Apparently if you don't agree to go through a full body scanner, (many are concerned with radiation risks) there is a new groping, i mean pat down policy that becomes mandatory.
Horror stories are surfacing of private areas being grabbed in public and even a breast cancer survivor having to remove a prosthetic breast in front of other passengers.
Before I unveil my newly found solution to this dilemma, here are a few thoughts regarding these procedures.
1. I am all for safety in the air at almost any cost and to me there is no inconvenience quite like being on a plane with someone who wants to kill everyone on board. This is where "better safe than sorry" is certainly applicable in my book.
2. I'm sure the TSA workers themselves aren't exactly excited about having to "pet" the wrinkle free dockers of fat middle aged men all day long, they're just doing they're job and trying to follow the new government procedure.
3. I read a statement from a TSA exec who attempted to reassure passengers that all TSA workers have been trained to only use the back of their hand when "checking" private areas. I"m pretty sure I speak for most Americans when I say a latex gloved strangers hand across the groin is a latex gloved strangers hand across the groin, no matter how "backhanded" your training is.
So what to do if you are traveling this holiday season and are concerned with Radiation dangers from scanners, but don't want to be subjected to embarrassing "pat down" procedures?
Let me introduce you to the revolutionary, lightweight, attractively stylish and elegant radiation shielding garment brought to you by your friends at rockyflatsgear. I know it didn't work so great for Adam, but the figleaf you see on these amazing briefs are a lead free, scientifically engineered barrier to all radiation put out by the high tech scanning devices.
This is not a joke, (ok, it kind of is) but an example of the entrepreneur spirit of America and Unless you're taking the bus to Grandma's this thanksgiving, I suggest you grab a pair.
I'd let you borrow mine, but Kendra and i are going to Mexico in a few weeks and I plan on not only wearing them in the airport, but having it double as a european mansuit at the pool.
happy Travels,

No comments:
Post a Comment