Monday, December 6, 2010

what should I do?

sometimes we let our relationship with God transform into doing, instead of being. Obviously as a follower of Jesus there are things we should do, and things we shouldn't do, but is that what it's all about? It can become almost contractional, here's what I do now that I'm a christian and here's what God does now that He's "my" God.

I am convinced that so many believers live their life out of a performance mentality. When they are doing "good", (reading their bible, praying, controlling their temper, staying pure etc) then God is pleased and you can expect God's blessing and favor on your life. When you're in a "down" season, (lack of devotion, loss of temper, etc) than somehow God has to be convinced thru more diligence and harder work that you are "worthy" of his blessing and favor.

I'm not implying that how we think and act is not important, and the bible is clear that a tree is known by it's fruit. How you live as a follower of Jesus will reflect his impact on your life. I'm simply saying that you can never "do" enough anything to obtain favor from God. His love and salvation is a gift that you could never earn or repay if you had a million light years to do it. Stop concentrating on what you should or shouldn't do, and put your eyes on Him. Be with him, Love him, Let His incredible love for you become a reality.

That's why I love this song. Take a minute to let the lyrics really sink in. The first part of the song asks the question "what can I do for you?" in response to all God has done for me. Sing a song? Dance a dance? What can I do for a king this beautiful?

The last half shifts to God speaking to us about what is His greatest desire.

"you, don't have to do a thing. Just simply be with me, and let those things go. They can wait another minute, wait, this moment is too sweet. Would you please stay here with me, and love on me a little longer, cause I'm in love with you."

Let that sink into your heart and spirit, the unreasonable love of the Father, longing to just be with His Children"

Blessings!!

1 comment:

Cassie said...

I love this song. Its always been one that 'pulls on my gut' for lack of better phraseolegy. Thanks for the reminder PJ.