lately, my two year old daughter Adalyn has decided that when she doesn't want to do what I've asked/told her to do, she covers her ears with both hands and says "talk daddy". Of course once I've repeated myself, I know she still heard me perfectly clear, (or could at least recall what I had said before she covered her ears), but she continues doing what I've asked her not to as if now there was no way I could hold her responsible. After all, her ears were covered:)
As so often happens to me, when I think about the challenges of being a dad to my girls, I put it into the context of God as my daddy. As ridiculous as it seems to me to have Addy cover her ears when I'm speaking to her, I can't help but feel convicted at the times I know God has spoken to me and I pretend I didn't hear so good.
Sometimes we can think pretty highly of our "christian" performance. I haven't killed anybody, I don't steal, I'm not cheating on my spouse, but we miss the still small voice of God that wants to prune every branch of our lives for the purpose of bearing more fruit! (john 15:2)
Whether its the apology I know I need to make, the person I am supposed to reach out to, the "prayer request" that is nothing more than gossip, or the prideful lie that I can accomplish what God has for my life on my own, I want ears to hear what the spirit is saying, so I can obey and grow.
As for Addy covering her ears, thankfully big sis is there to be here second mom and relay the message again ever so graciously:)

3 comments:
I love the things God speaks to us through. And I agree, I know there are things I need to work on and I think we have to stop waiting for a thousand confirmations when we knew from the start it was God speaking directly to our hearts..thank God for the ability to have a relationship with him and the blessing of prayer!
That is so true. Sometimes I think, "God, why is it so hard for me to reach you?" when really He is reaching out for us and speaking every moment of our lives, each and every day... So I have to ask myself, Daddy, am I listening?
i agree with all 3 of you.
i am with roxy i do that alot and something i have been trying to work on alot more late and yeahhh this is awesome pj, thanks again for sharing :]
Post a Comment