today marks four years since my dad went home to be with Jesus. In some ways it seems longer, and in others it seems like yesterday. I am so grateful for the life we shared together and I will always remember him as a man who loved God, his family and life. He was such an encourager to me and literally wrote hundreds of cards by hand telling me how proud he was to be my dad and what amazing ways God would use me. I think in some way every son dreams of making their dad proud and I hope he smiles when he looks from heaven. He is probably talking Peter's ear off about all of his kids. I thank God for blessing me with my own children and hope to love them the same unconditional way my dad loved me.
I miss you dad, but I am grateful that "we do not grieve as those who have no hope, for since we believe that Jesus died and was raised to life, we also believe that when Jesus returns, God will bring back with Him those who have died" (1thess.4:16)
the best part of being a christian, is never having to really say good-bye to those you love in christ, but I can tell my dad, "I'll see you soon, and I'm sure you'll have a card waiting:)
Love your son,
Jon
This song was played at my dad's memorial. It still makes me cry, but I love thinking of my dad with Jesus when I hear it.

5 comments:
Hi,
I can attest that your dad was a WONDERFUL man. No doubt he is now being an awesome encourager to so many people up in heaven~ and I can only imagine how incredibly proud he is looking down on you. You are continuing his legacy in so many amazing ways!
I'm sure today was sad and I'm sorry. Thinking of you!
B
Pastor Jon just wanted to encourage you, though I don't think you nessasarily need it- but you are a great Dad to Addy and Ava. There is no doubt about that in anyones mind.There is also no doubt that the way you are livng for God and the way you love your family must bring a smile to your Dad's face. I obviously didnt know him, but he must have been great to have raised such a son!
Jon,
Your dad was such an encouragement to me. Back in 2000 when I went through teen challenge, wich was probally the hardest year of my life, your dad sent me a card EVERY week (he never missed ONE). At a place where you can't talk to anyone on the phone except on saturdays, and when no one else was encouraging me, your dad did. Many weeks, that was the only mail I recieved, an encouraging card from your dad. And it wasn't just a hallmark motto, he wrote front, back, sides, around the picture, you know! He was awesome. Such an example of what Jesus is all about. I only wish I can be that much of an encouragement to others at some point in my life. I can't imagine the fruit that has been accredited to his account in heaven from the literally hundreds of lives that were changed from your dad encouraging them in Christ. We need more Don Zondervan's in the body of Christ, that's for sure! His legacy lives on, we can all learn something from his awesome life, and at the same time, look forward to seeing him again someday when we go home ( I definetly want a tour of his mansion, it's gotta be HUGE with all of the cards on display that he wrote!) Love ya man..... matt
Thanks matt, (and everyone else who commented), I wasn't aware of that, but i'm not surprised:) He never missed sending a card each week the whole time kendra and I were in Oklahoma!! thanks so much to all of you for taking the time to share and remembering his life with me.
God bless,
Jon
great post Jon. Your dad was such an incredible man and really became like a father to me. He spoke constant words of affirmation and encouragement to me and so many others. I don't think I have ever met a more contagiously friendly person. I miss him and i often think about how proud your dad would be to see you up there preaching. He would be in tears of joy and passing out fan club memberships to everyone in the church! Everytime I see you speaking or hear your huge voice in laughter, Big D lives on in you.
Post a Comment