Monday, June 2, 2008

recipe for a heart attack

take one seemingly safe brick style ranch home complete with basement stairs
add one oblivious to the world 2 year old
stand in your kitchen calmly drinking a coke zero
watch as your two year old declares she is going to get her ball and falls down the entire flight of stairs
scream like a maniac as you helplessly watch the event unfold in what seems like super slo-mo



yes its true,
for the second time in about 2 weeks, Addy fell down the stairs. Last time it was on a friday when I was in the basement and she was playing on the steps. She tried to turn around and fell down about 6 or 7 steps. Traumatic, but manageable.

This time was insane. Addy was walking toward the stairs to get her ball and had her head turned at Ava who was relishing the fact that she had her ball and addy didn't. Instead of swiveling her head toward the stairs, she remained locked in her "you have a ball and I don't" death stare with Ava. She then proceeded to literally walk off the steps without ever turning to look at them. It reminded me of a pirate walking the plank. she cartwheeled down every single one and sprawled out at the bottom screaming hysterically (or was that me)

Anyways, by the complete grace of God all she had was a bloody lip and a scuffed leg. I walked away with only soiled boxers and a sore throat. I am convinced that praying a hedge of protection around our children daily ( Job 1:8, psalm 91:10-11) has kept our kids safe and I recommend it to every parent.

Thanks for letting me share this with you, this is by far the most traumatic event in our household since Addy basically set our entire kitchen on fire.

2 comments:

Cassie said...

oh!! Poor Addy!!! Praise God she was okay, sorry you had a virtual heart attack, but who wouldnt? Maybe you guys should get those weird gate things...dont know. Just glad shes okay..!!
Thanks also for the sweet comment PJ, I'm looking forward to ministry together in the future to!!! :D
-Cassie

Roxy said...

O my gosh! I probably would have done the same thing as a little girl, but we didn't have stairs. I used to spill milk every other day on my parents' beautiful oak wooden table which is a lot less painful.
I'm glad that Addy is okay!! =)