Thursday, September 4, 2008

what can we do for God?

last night at youth we kicked off our new series called "the live out LOUD vow" Its all about living loud what you believe about Jesus and not allowing culture or peer pressure suppress the message. Here is the vow broken down....

L---longing for Jesus--ps. 42:10
O--overcomer--rev. 12:11
U--uncompromising life--phil.2:15
D---Diligent prayer--1thess. 5:17

The last night on september 24th we will all come together and "take the vow". I know it is going to be incredibly powerful and I will post more on that when it happens.

Yesterday we talked about worship and what it means to long for God. Why is it some people have deep desire to truly know and worship God and others don't? Is. 14:13 tells us about the struggle long ago between Lucifer and God. How lucifer desired the one thing reserved only for God..... worship. War broke out in heaven and Lucifer and a third of the angels were banished to earth. The battle for our worship is still being waged today. The enemies mission is to get us to put anything before God. I mentioned a few that hit home for young people....... body image, boy/girl friends, money, possessions, computers and television. None of them necessarily bad by themselves, but easy to make into idols. Ex. 20 tells us that God is jealous, and does not want to be 2nd place. What is it in our lives that we have put before Jesus? Who is winning the battle for our worship? Is Jesus sitting on the throne of your life, or is something else?

I concluded by submitting that the reason many don't have a longing heart to worship Jesus is because they are unaware of what He has done. Worship should be your response to what God has done in and for you. (see luke 19:36-40) Lots of people acknowledge His existence and even His death, but never truly grasp the depths of the sacrifice He made and the depravity of their condition without Him. Most of us think we are pretty good people and God should have no problem saving us. I would encourage you to read Ephesians 2:1-5 to get a good glimpse of where we were headed apart from Jesus. I love the two words in verse four.......But God! That is a two word sermon right there! I was a miserable wreck on my way to the Hell I deserved......But God!

I ended the night by showing this video accompanied by one of my favorite songs. I know "passion" videos on youtube are a dime a dozen and some of them are better than others. But I chose this one for two reasons.

1. I think videos help us relate more to what Jesus did. I appreciate the movie the passion because we are a media driven generation and often when we read "Jesus died on a cross" in the bible, it can get lost in translation. We aren't familiar with the gruesome brutality of crucifixion and we think of a blonde hair blue eyed Jesus with a little trickle of blood on His forehead. This video depicts the price that was paid just in the physical, not to mention the spiritual. Your love for God grows as you realize His incredible love for you.

2. The song. You can find a passion video for just about every song but Weird Al Yankovic's "eat" it. To me, this Song reveals more of the heart of the Father than any other. Listen to the lyrics as she asks....what can I do for you, how can I repay you? What kind of thanks could possibly be enough? Then listen to the response of Jesus....You don't have to do a thing, just simply be with me, and let those things go. Just love on me a little longer.

That's the heart of God!!! He just wants to be with me and love on me! I don't have to perform, I don't have exert myself, I don't have to try to have it all together. Just Him loving on me is enough to change my life forever!!

I hope you enjoy this video and may the song bless you as it has me.